On Reflection and Inclination

A few weeks ago, I was at the wedding reception of my cousin’s son. Met some relatives, whom I have not met in a while. One in particular was sitting next to me. We sort of grew up together. She is one year older than me. Hence, it is natural to be close. Back then, during the school holidays, my parents would take my siblings and I to her parents’ house. Her dad is my mum’s elder brother. Back then, their house overlooked acres of paddy fields. I did some work in the paddy fields, even though I was still in primary school. I learned a lot about growing paddy. We wanted to do some tap the rubber trees. My Mak Lang wouldn’t hear that.

My cousin and I did a lot of catching up. We talked about, her parents, my parents, kids, grandkids, and knowing I am retiring soon, she asked me a question, that no one has ever asked me before. She asked me, of all the places I worked at, and the things I have done, which place that I consider the best place I have worked? I didn’t answer her. I rambled here and there. Not giving an actual answer.

Honestly, I couldn’t give an answer. I have never thought about it. I guess, I was on a roll, doing my thing and just doing my job, I never stopped to think.

While driving alone over the weekend, I was doing my usual thing, talking to myself about a lot of things. I do that a lot. Hey!! I solved a lot of problems. I solved, world hunger, poverty, education and schools, leadership, politics… I really did solve a lot of things, at least in my head.

The answer came to me, during that off-mind conversation with myself, I realized, the place I find most at “home” was and still is, is working in a training center. Even back when I was in the Army - at two training centers, Armed Forces Academy now #UPNM; post Army - #petronasleadershipcenter; #FGVAcademy.

I saw how training centers as the #heartandsoul of the organization. It brings people together. People from far reaches, different roles, together in one place. A place they call home too. I have seen employees hugging each other like some long-lost friends, after years apart, per chance meeting at the training center, though they were attending different courses. I saw how they treated the training center, like their home, having coffee or Teh Tarik, chatting away, talking about everything and nothing at night after the classes are done.

I am certain some will comment saying that is not the only thing about training centers. Yes true. Training centers are expensive to build and maintain. It is not for the faint-hearted organization who will nitpick and questioning every cent spent at the training center. The courses should have an impact on the #employees and #organization, in the short and long term. For me, that is given. Hygiene. It is like going to a restaurant, or a hotel, some things are given, like safety, cleanliness, comfort, for restaurants – good food.

For me, a training center is more than all that. A Training Center is about bringing people together, where people meet, reconnect, exchange ideas, solve problems, be it work or personal. 

If you don’t see those hugging, laughter, deep conversations, picking on each other, then the training center is purely transactional. I have seen that before. This usually happens, when bosses want a training center, for personal gratification, an item to put on their list of achievement, believing they are “leaving a legacy”. In actuality it merely a visibility branding exercise, or having a training center as an item in a “best practices checklists”. Either way, it will lose its sense of purpose.

Yes, I will be remiss if I say I don’t miss being a training center. I do miss it. The cacophony of activities. You can’t build anything, without making some noise.

If your #organization has a #trainingcenter, do endeavor to bring life to the place. If the employees call it HOME, then you got it right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some kind of feeling

To KISS the ABCs of Writing