"For centuries, older people have romanticized their youths, and insisted that things ain't what they used to be.", Hans Rosling, Factfulness, 2018, pg65.

Past 2-3 weeks, I have decided to go back to my old routine of doing some readings in my SOHO every night. Well, most weeknights. I was doing quite a lot of reading and writing when I was doing my Masters. Now that I have completed and graduated, I, unfortunately, fell into some bad habits. 

Starting over, well, it felt good, reading, watching thought provoking talks in the internet, or listening to great conversations in the podcasts. I realize those bad habits of mine, are really bad habits. 

It felt good to be mentally and emotionally challenged. It felt good, when you read about something, or hear about something, you start to feel strongly, about something. Feeling angry about things that go wrong. Feeling elated about things that go right. Not feeling about anything, is just not acceptable.

Coming to this routine feels comforting. Like having some familiar comfort food, over a quaint dinner table among close family members, or close friends. It gives you a sense of warm fuzzy feeling inside.

This allows me time to think about the world around. Unfortunately, I am also guilty of romanticizing about my youth, and things of yesteryears. As you are nearing retirement age, you tend to think about your youth. You think about what you have done all those years. When I do that, some good thoughts come to mind. That's a relief. However, there are some, I would rather not think about anymore. When these thoughts appear, the idea of romanticizing my youth, gets cut short rather abruptly.

Yes, everything comes with the good, the bad, the ugly and the beautiful, all tightly wrapped in a nice little package we call life. When that realization comes, we no longer romanticized, we have clarity. We find solace that at the end of it all, everything matters, and nothing matters.

What matters is what you make of the package that was given to you, and with that burden of knowledge you carry within you, you become the guide to those who are also taking the path of life.

Have a blessed day ahead.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some kind of feeling

To KISS the ABCs of Writing