Knowledgeable Consultants

I have been in L&D past 30 years, in some form or another. I have also been an L&D consultant. Being both sides of the field, I have made plenty of mistakes. One of the things I want to share here is the way L&D consultants approach companies, with the intent to help the companies. Noble in intent, but sometimes that intent backfire. I was fortunate, when I approached them as a L&D consultant, they commented on my approach. Some are polite, some are loud. I learned nonetheless. 
Never approach a company without doing extensive homework. A few months ago, I received a solution to remedy challenges for an oil & gas business. They company I swork with, was never near the oil & gas spectrum Talk about being off-base. I have met many companies who approached me asking me to divulge all our company problems to them, so that they can develop solutions. Sorry, it doesn't work that way either.
I have met some consultants, who did their homework. They not only know our challenges, also provided solutions I am impressed with. I am learning a lot from these learned experts. 
Even though I am an in-house consultant, I can no longer just say, tell me your problems, and I shall develop a solution. I need to approach them, knowing the problems and providing the solutions, without asking them. I need to know their business, be it within the organization, or benchmark it against other comparable companies.
Good luck to us all.

Ben Grant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some kind of feeling

To KISS the ABCs of Writing